So along with about 5 million other people (give or take), I traveled to the path of totality. How could I miss something like that? Many thanks to my friend Brian Clark for motivating me to travel with him and his kids to experience it. I may not have come away with the best images, but I experienced it. It was all worth it. The distance traveled, the traffic, the waiting. Icing on the cake? There’s another one in 2024. I’ll see you there!
In the meantime, here are some notes to my future self so I don’t forget (the beauty of an online journal, right?):
- Use the same camera to shoot both partial and total (the other camera is a backup)
- Avoid extenders if at all possible.
- Get a solar filter for the longest focal length.
- Practice. Actually practice. It may seem silly, but now you know.
- Take time away from the viewfinder and experience it.
- A sturdy/hefty tripod ballhead is your best friend.
- All camera bodies you use need a fully articulating LCD viewfinder.
- Go ahead and rent that camera body you really wanted to rent this time around – it’ll be worth it.