I’ve seen this back home in Winchester and I’ve seen lots of discussion threads because of it out here in CA. Still can’t find a solid reason for it. Why a 14 mph speed limit?
- It’s different and catches your attention
- 15 mph is too fast (and sounds too much like 50 when spoken with certain accents)
- 13 mph is too slow (and unlucky)
- 14 is a multiple of 7 so it’s twice as lucky
- 14 mph is the speed of a horse-driven carriage at a “furious” pace
- The trams travel at 15 mph so theoretically a car should never overtake a tram
And so on and so on and so on. I tend to fall into the reason #1 group, but I like them all.